Friday, August 18, 2006

Learning from my son

This has been an exhausting week, mostly in the emotional/spiritual sense. Dealing with a lot of church stuff that is really draining. I think we're doing ok; moving forward, working hard to do what we believe God wants us to.

The joy in the midst of this is my son Brady. Jamie is working full time; wrapping things up before she quits her job. Ashley is visiting her father; so I'm home with Brady during the days. He can wear me out; and when he naps I'm ready for a break. But 45 minutes later I'm standing at his crib, missing him and ready for him to wake up. I am so filled with love for him. He is "talking," making lots of beautiful sounds. His smile melts my heart. He is asleep now and I long for him.

If this is the kind of love God has for me; I never really got that before now. Even though life is crazy, and I'm about 150 emails behind, and work is piling up; I am so grateful for my family, my ministry, my co-pastor (who has picked up all of my slack while I'm playing Mr. Mom), my friends, and most of all my God.

2 comments:

Todd said...

Can anyone translate that last comment for me?

Todd said...

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the response--yeah, kids are amazing. I hate having to leave them in the mornings on the days I leave for work.

I checked out your website and listened to some of your music--very cool! I am not a musician; but do love music. Some of your influences are favorites of mine--Marty Robbins, John Denver...I really like Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Rich Mullins...

I'll buy some of your songs next time I pick up an I-tunes card. (We're on a tight budget with a new baby, a new job, and my wife getting ready to come home full-time!)

Thanks for the encouragment!