Wednesday, April 30, 2008

peace

I have a friend going through a rough time...another friend sent me this poem today. Reading the email was the highlight of my day; I sensed God's love and care for my friend, his family, the whole situation...the friend who sent the email is not a Christian, I wonder if she knows how much God has blessed me (and others) through her.

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

1 comment:

Moff said...

Ohhh of course it IS Wendell Berry. I have been so terribly troubled this week, too... sleep and ability to eat affected... can't quite understand my reaction, but SO SAD. This helps. Really. Thanks for posting it.