Tuesday, August 17, 2010

thoughts on the "ground zero--mosque" controversy

Matt Sledge at Huffington has a great piece on the "ground zero--mosque" controversy.

here are a few of my thoughts on the situation:

I think there is a big difference between "at" ground zero and a few blocks away. Much of the conversation I'm hearing assumes that the community center/mosque is going to be right where the towers stood, and that's not the case. I would hope that hearing that fact could impact people's perception.

I want to believe that we as a nation can rise above and continue to promote the freedom and liberty we always have--for all people, regardless of religion or race.

I guess the big difference here is that some people cannot or will not separate the terrorists of 9-11 from all Muslims. For me, it's like holding all Christians responsible for the actions of one who kills an abortion doctor, or identifying all Christians with someone like Fred Phelps, the Baptist pastor who disrupts soldiers' funerals, preaching that those deaths are God's judgment on America.

For those of us who are Christ followers, I think we share His love when we relate to others, even Muslims, with peace and love rather than with protests and exclusion. I think Jesus would condemn the actions of the terrorists, but not hold it against other people who were not involved, just because they share a common race or religion.

I realize my perspective is different than a lot of Christians, and I want to have the same grace and understanding toward them that I am asking for; so I don't mean to come across too strong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think President Obama has nailed it on the head:

CNN’s Ed Henry caught up with President Barack Obama during his Gulf vacation today, and it seems the president would like to add an asterisk to his comments last night on the Islamic center near Ground Zero. While he stuck to his point that Muslims have every right to establish a religious center there, he added that he “was not comment and will not comment on the wisdom” of putting the center near Ground Zero, but only of the legal right to.

Would you build a church next door to that abortion cliniic that was blown up a few years back by another Christian? I'd probably wait and build somewhere else.

BTW, I've loved a bunch of your posts recently. I've commented on my phone but it always gets messed up and I don't feel like typing it again. Anyway, keep posting man!

Todd said...

thanks Tommy. how is fatherhood? Let's get together--I'm taking a class mondays at 8; but I'll be up there in the afternoons some; let's catch up.