Friday, September 11, 2009

FBS's (first born son) first day of preschool

From our family blog:

B had his first day of preschool today. I know this is just the first of many milestones, but it was a big deal to me...I still get surprised at how emotional I become.

B was born a little over three years ago. My memory is pretty bad these days, but I remember so much about that day. J went into labor while at work; I went to pick her up and she tried to keep on working. Her co-workers forced her to leave, and we finally got on the road to the hospital.

By the time we got there her contractions were coming faster. We tried to walk from the parking lot, but she couldn't get very far so we drove to the emergency room and I got her inside. Her labor went quickly, and a few hours later Brady was born.

A lot of people cry when their babies are born, but I started crying about five minutes before B came out. I realized that this little person we had been talking and singing to and touching and loving was about to come and join us fully. I was filled with this amazing joy and began to cry.

When he came out, all messy and gooey, he was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

When I look back to that day, the last three years seem to have gone by in a blur. B is no longer a baby, he's a wonderful little boy with lots of personality, incredibly bright, and so much fun.

As we walked up the sidewalk toward his preschool, my eyes filled with tears as I thought that he is no longer completely ours--he also belongs to others with whom he will now build new relationships.

It was all worth it four hours later when I picked him up--he saw me come to the door of his class, yelled "Daddy!" and ran into my arms. I love being a dad.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Very sweet and touching post.

"...this little person we had been talking and singing to and touching and loving was about to come and join us fully." Lovely :-)

"...my eyes filled with tears as I thought that he is no longer completely ours--he also belongs to others with whom he will now build new relationships." I believe that will be my reaction too.

Rev. April said...

I've been thinking about that a lot todd - as i see nursery school coming down the pike for lukas!
We should really get our boys together someday and let them "run around in circles" (Lukas actually requests that activity at times) while we catch up.