Tuesday, February 12, 2008

more thoughts on prayer

One theme, probably the main theme, throughout the Bible is that God wants to be in relationship with  us. He knows us and wants us to know Him. He loves us and wants us to love Him. He communicates with us and wants us to communicate with Him.

Prayer is the primary way that communication happens. It is how we know and hear and talk to God.

If we believe that God is God and I am not; then the thing we should do most is listen. God has a lot more figured out than I do. How am I going to know God, and learn from Him, if all I do is talk to Him, telling Him what I want and think and feel?

If prayer is going to help us know and hear God, we've got to shut up and listen. We've got to stop going to Him with an agenda each time and just be with Him.

I love being with my children. We don't have to do anything, just being with them is pure joy...listening to my 21 month old sing, hum, try new words...watching my 5 month old smile and giggle when I talk to him...holding my pre-teen daughter when she is hurting or upset..I love just being with them.

God wants the same with us--to just be with us. To be by our side as we walk through life. Prayer happens when we are as aware of Him as He is of us; when we acknowledge Him and live life with Him. It isn't always doing anything in particular; it happens when His spirit and ours come together.

1 comment:

Tom said...

enjoying the prayer posts...keep em coming