Monday, October 22, 2007

miniseries

ok, I realized I was getting kind of stuck with the book reviews...my original idea was to write about a wide variety of topics...so I'm just picking random stuff.

tonight--miniseries. I love books. I love movies. I've found that some of the best film adaptations are miniseries. Very rarely does a two hour film capture the heart of a novel; but a miniseries often can.

So, here are my suggestions for great miniseries viewing:

1. Lonesome Dove--simply the best. Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall each give the performance of a lifetime. Duvall has said Gus McRae was the role he was born to play. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

2. Band of Brothers--I don't usually like war movies; but this was phenomenal. I had to buy it and watch it about once a year.

3. Roots--perhaps should be number one; but not as fresh for me. Everybody should watch this. Everybody.

4. Storm of the Century--Stephen King at his best. The scariest miniseries or TV movie I've seen; not just because of the monster, but because of incredible good and evil that humans are capable of.

5, Andersonville--powerful true story of prisoner-of-war camp in the Civil War.

5. The Shining--a very faithful adaptation of one of King's best novels. Stephen Webber gives an amazing performance.

6. The Stand--based on what I consider to be King's best novel. Not as great as the book; but that would be impossible. Gary Sinese in the role that made him a star.

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hey Todd,



I would also add that PBS does fantastic miniseries off of classic books (which i can't stand to read because i cannot identify with the times and the women are presented as flighty, lovestruck, pining, snobbishly rich and everyone adheres to the class system) but i must recommend highly Dicken's Bleak House with Gillian Anderson. Simply Fantastic.

I loved the Storm of The Century miniseries. I agree it was the scariest miniseries i've seen, and of course the scene at the end really does a number on my emotions.

and EEEK to andersonville.


~Jenn Foucher