Saturday, February 17, 2007

back to cold reality

OK, Thursday we're at Sea World in San Diego, 70 degrees, sunny...Jamie fulfills her lifelong dream of interacting with the dolphins, I'm enjoying watching my son laugh at the whales and sea lions. Ashley got a pair of heelys; tennis shoes with a wheel on the heel--it is so fun to watch her roll everywhere. These are the joys of parenthood, seeing the world through the eyes of my kids and sharing their wonder and joy...

So we come back to find our neighborhood covered with ice. Literally. We're not going anywhere until it thaws!

A lot going through my head about the National Pastors Convention...especially about the Bible. For years I've felt like I've had this framework of faith and theology, and we try to make the Bible fit within that framework. I know the intentions are good, but I think more and more that we miss God's purpose. We argue about how literally to take the Bible...we argue over words like inerrant and infallible and authoritative...and what kills me is that these arguments aren't between Christians and non-Christians--they are going on within the church.

I think Jesus looks at this and sadly shakes His head. I think He probably feels like we so often miss the point. It shouldn't be about arguing, and making sure we get everything right--it should be about finding Jesus--His person, His heart, His desires, His Spirit, in the stories of the Bible. Receiving His love. Loving others in the same way.

I often hesitate writing about stuff like this. I'm not a theologian. I've forgotten much of what I've learned in seminary. I am a student, trying to know Jesus more and more, and become more like Him.

As a lover of literature, I'm excited about how I read the Bible these days. I see how God used all kinds of people to tell His stories. I am letting go of hangups about everything being historically and scientifically "accurate." I'm not saying the Bible is not true. I believe it is. But I think God's perspective of Biblical truth is very different from what a lot of people seem to think--inerrant, infallible, etc...

I realize I say "I think" a lot; and I know friends who will tell me I can't trust my thinking, I can only trust God's Word. But then they quote a verse to support their view; regardless of the historical and theological context of that verse...I'm diving into Jesus' words and stories, especially the Sermon on the Mount. Wow. Revolutionary stuff if we read it as if He meant it! OK, time to get off my soap box and get to bed.

Glad to be back in VA--excited about lots of work/renovations going on at church this week. Join us at Convergence if you can!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Todd I feel much the same way much of the time. Sometimes I feel suffocated by people "proof texting" at me. I'm really struggling with something we've had in common (you in the past, me now).

The sad thing is most of the time we all seem to want the same thing. To be loved, to love, and to share Christs' love with others.

I'm glad you enjoyed the town where I went to High School.