Friday, February 22, 2008

belonging to God

Whoever belongs to God hears what God says.
John 8:47

Belonging to God. Not having the right theology. Not having the right doctrine. Not having all the answers. Belonging to God. If I belong to Him; then I hear him. I get really irritated when I hear or read people who have it all figured out, and are critical of those who don't agree with them (probably way too irritated).

Although I'm sure they don't mean to, their attitude often seems to communicate that God belongs to them, rather than they belong to God. I mean their idea or understanding of God must be captured and defined and then held up as a standard to which all others must agree and comply.

But I think belonging to God is completely different. It's all about being His child. It's first about receiving His unconditional love. It's about loving and seeking and reaching out to Him. Being held and loved and cared for by Him. I don't get everything about God. I don't understand a lot about the state of the world and God's role in it; i.e. evil and suffering. 

But I trust that He is here. I might not always "get" Him, but I belong to Him. I experience His love in countless ways--through the joys of life with Him--my family, my home, my friends, my faith community, my books, my music...

He created me. He is working on me. He loves me--when I'm right or wrong. When I'm wise or clueless. I am His. I belong to Him. And although it's often scary, I think I hear Him more and more.

No comments: