Wednesday, February 27, 2008

lent and chocolate


We're about halfway through the season of Lent. Lent is not a common practice in many Baptist churches; and I didn't plan well enough for us to really observe it at Convergence; but I did talk a little about it Sunday...

I gave up chocolate for lent this year. A really big deal for me. I love chocolate. I've done pretty well--there have been a couple times when I almost ate some--not on purpose, but just because I forgot. Which tells me I may not be thinking and praying about this very well...

I've also been trying to practice silence more--being still and silent in prayer (my friend Josh's idea). It's been really good. 

Talking about silence and listening in church, and practicing it more myself, is preparing me for Easter.  Meditating on his death and resurrection is helping me to think more about the idea of expectation, anticipation, longing for connection with Jesus. 

I feel like I'm closer to Him than ever--I'm trying to live in an attitude of prayer most of the time. It is easier when things are good--and these days I experience his love in much of my life--my family, my job, my friends...(it does get tougher when I'm tired and grumpy; but that's life...)

Lisa and I leave for NY early tomorrow; we're going to the International Arts Movement conference. Should be really good! But I already miss my family. (GMU has a late game; so I'm staying at my friend Kenny's house tonight).  

1 comment:

Tom said...

can't wait to hear about the art fair