Saturday, February 23, 2008

more on belonging to God


OK, yesterday I wrote about belonging to God, and realize some may read my opening as contrasting belonging to God with having right theology and doctrine...and I'm sure many would say you can't belong to God without right theology and doctrine.
that's just not an argument I want to get into. My point was that we often make too much of making sure people are right, to the detriment of helping people to be loving. I think God wants us to be learning and growing...but I think it saddens Him that so many Christians are spending so much time and energy critiquing and criticizing each other, because they don't agree on theology and doctrine.

I want to know God more intimately; I want to understand His heart and mind and perspective as much as possible. But I don't want to set myself as the judge of others; and it burns me when others try to do so. God is big enough to help us know what He wants us to know. 

I think we should pursue truth, but even more we need to love and serve and give. We need to look for what God is doing and get in on it. There is way too much poverty and hunger and oppression and slavery and illness and death and violence and war in our world. In light of that, most of our debates over theological interpretation seem trivial to me.

I hope that when this life is over and I'm completely in God's presence I'll get the answers to my questions; until then, I need to spend my life caring for others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heartily agree, and totally hear you on this!

Todd said...

Hey Chris, good to hear from you...how about trying to get that lunch sometime--do you have a spring break?