Tuesday, January 30, 2007

trying to live the kingdom



Sunday night we had our monthly communion service. We gather for dinner (a team effort--Jamie's recipe/my cooking!), then share communion, then have some creative worship. Communion was really powerful for me this week. It's so wonderful to be sitting around a table, smiling, laughing, sharing our lives and stories; then to join together in prayer both serious and joyful.

We watched one of Rob Bell's Nooma videos called "Trees." He asks some great questions about meaning and significance in life. We had a great discussion afterward, then played some games. These communion nights are one of my favorite things that we do. I hope that in time we do them even more often.

I love this quote from Bell: "May you trust Jesus, when he says that death has been taken care of, and that you can live forever with God, that you're never, ever going to stop living. May you believe that...you can be a partner with God in redeeming and restoring this fallen, broken, hurting world. That you can literally be a partner with God in making this the kind of place that God originally intended it to be. May you be the kind of person who, when you live this way, the very trees of paradise are being planted."

Other notes: Reading Brian McLaren's The Secret Message of Jesus. Great stuff; we're using some of it as we talk about the Kingdom of God during Jan. and Feb. at church...going to San Diego for the National Pastors Convention and some vacation next week--really excited to get away with my family...speaking of family, ours is getting ready to expand (this should tell me if anyone is reading my blog!)...Have a great day!

2 comments:

Josh said...

so, care to elaborate on the whole "expansion" thing?....

Tom said...

Oh...I did miss it completely. I think you just added that last line.