Monday, January 15, 2007

ramblings on the war

I try to think carefully before I speak about politics and hot issues; not to hide my views, but to be sensitive to others and not alienate people. But I recently received an email that really got me going. It was one of those emails that everyone forwards to family and friends--here it is:

A mother asked President Bush,... "Why did my son have to die in Iraq?"

Another mother asked President Kennedy,... "Why did my son have to die in Viet Nam?"

Another mother asked President Truman,... "Why did my son have to die in Korea?

Another mother asked President F.D. Roosevelt,... "Why did my son have to die at Iwo Jima?"

Another mother asked President W. Wilson,... "Why did my son have to die on the battlefield of France?"

Yet another mother asked President Lincoln,... "Why did my son have to die at Gettysburg?"

And yet another mother asked President G. Washington,... "Why did my son have to die near
Valley Forge?"

Then long, long ago, a mother asked... "Heavenly Father, why did my Son have to die on a cross outside of Jerusalem?"

The answers to all these are similar -- "So that others may have life and dwell in peace, happiness and freedom."

I know the people that write and send these things mean well. But this is ridiculous. It implies that our military is on a holy mission. The scary thing is; a lot of people believe just that. To compare the death of our soldiers in Iraq to the death of Jesus Christ is just plain wrong. Jesus took the path of peace and gave His life. Our government sends our soldiers to kill.

Many people say that if you are against the war, then you are not supporting our troops. Many believe that Christians should support the war, because President Bush is a Christian and is being led by God. That is frightening. I don't doubt the president's faith, but I don't think he is leading the way Jesus taught.

Now I support our soldiers completely. I am an army veteran, and am grateful to those who serve. But my heart is broken that so many have died needlessly, along with so many Iraqis. And while I support our soldiers, I don't support the continuing strategy that put them where they are. I don't support the horrible decisions our leaders continue to make, that lead to so many deaths and are actually making the world a more dangerous place.

Jim Wallis has a great post about the war on his blog; and communicates much of what I feel, but far more eloquently. My desire is that our leaders do all they can to bring our soldiers home. I hate the ongoing violence in the middle east, and pray that God will bring peace and healing; but I think it's crazy to think it will happen through war, especially one led by the US.

I'll step down from my soapbox now. My blood is pumping because of four hours of 24 in the last two days. (OK, you may be wondering how I can be so pro-peace, anti-war, then be a fan of such a violent, stereotypical terrorist tv show. No idea. I just am. I never claimed that my life makes sense.)

1 comment:

Tom said...

Don't be shy about how you feel Todd. :)