Friday, December 08, 2006

worn out

I am totally exhausted. We had a funeral today; for Johnnie, a wonderful lady who had been part of our church for over 50 years. It was a great service; easy to honor someone like Johnnie. I'm so glad for the few months I got to know her.

But funerals wear me out. Watching her die and spending time with her family after brought back a lot of emotion about the deaths in my family. Over the years I've lost a great-grandmother, a grandmother, a grandfather, and my father. We've lost two church members in last two months, so I've spent a lot of time in the hospital, and done two funerals. We'll probably have more in the not-too-distant-future.

But these are great opportunities to care for people, to help them through tough times. Also challenges me to deal with my own questions and thoughts about life and death. Thinking more about that lately, realizing I'm probably around the midpoint of my life. Strange to think I've probably got more years behind me than ahead of me. Challenges me to make the most of my time; something I'm not really good at.

About 3/4 through Stephen King's newest, Lisey's Story. Some of the best writing he's done in years; excellent so far.

No comments: