Saturday, December 02, 2006

when will I learn?


Jamie and I have had a rough time lately. She's been kind of grumpy/moody; I've been pretty sensitive, and easily upset. We both get frustrated, feeling like the other is being selfish and not caring about our needs. I'm stressed about church, all that needs to be done, feeling heavy, having spent a lot of time in the hospital lately watching one of our elderly members die (I expect her to go tonight or tomorrow). Jamie is dealing with major life change; going from working in a rewarding job to staying home full-time and homeschooling. (She loves being with the kids; isn't so crazy about housework...)

Tonight we had date night; a nice dinner at a Christmas party. We had a great talk on the drive, and were both able to move beyond our selfishness to try and understand how the other felt.

We do this every few months. Stuff builds up for a while, then we finally talk and clear the air and move back toward each other. I hate the frustration that leads up to it, but I guess it leads us to communicate better and helps us be a little more selfless. I love my wife very much; and now I'm going to bed, where she already is!

1 comment:

Mute Writer said...

Glad you had a good date night. As someone also married I understand all to well the building up from lack of communication until it all comes out. Everytime Lisa and I have the "talk" then that diffuses everything, we then talk about how to communicate better in the future and not let things reach that point...8 years later we still have that talk, though I do admit the times inbetween are longer now. It does get better but it's hard to be proactive with that situation I think.