Tuesday, June 21, 2011

End of a season


Yesterday I mentioned seasons of life. I spent some time looking at my life's seasons. They tend to match my location; seems I keep moving and starting new chapters both internally and externally.

My former pastor Harold Bullock talked of a man's life being broken down into decades. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I think this is close:

In your 20's, you're learning to be a man, in your 30's you're getting established, raising a family; in your 40's you're hitting your stride, growing as a leader... I'm a little behind that schedule, but my seasons have all lasted about ten years:

18-27--growing up. I spent two years in the army, then 4.5 in college, then two doing youth ministry. I learned. I experimented. I was pretty selfish. I got into ministry and discovered that I loved working with people.

27-37--The Texas years. A lot of trial-and-error. Trying different things. Still growing up. I went to seminary for a while, then dropped out. I worked several jobs, the main one as a high school English teacher. I loved it. I also worked with special-needs children, sold souvenirs for the Texas Rangers, and umpired high school baseball.

I faced and dealt with my immaturity and selfishness. I grew up some more, had some big ups and downs. I had a challenging and beautiful relationship with God during that time.

37-46--The season of change. Moved from TX back to VA. Got back into seminary (and finally graduated!) Got married. Bought a house. Had three children. Lost my father. Had some great (and sometimes frustrating) experiences in ministry. Still learning to be a husband.

These last nine years have been amazing. After twenty years of living on my own, responsible only for myself; I've quickly become responsible for a family of five. Sometimes I think, "whoa! How did that happen?!"

But I wouldn't change a thing. My wife continues to help me be a better person (the whole iron sharpens iron thing. We have some pretty great sword-fights :-)

My kids have taught me to be selfless. To put others first. We have struggled financially. But we love each other. We have fun together. We have family and friends who have helped us through difficult times. Even in the midst of life's challenges and frustrations, I often look at my wife and kids, and our home, and think how about great I've got it.

It is scary to see this season end. I've become pretty comfortable--my parents are close by and always willing to help. I've got fantastic friends who encourage and support me. I have a season ticket to GMU basketball. I've been fortunate to do work I love doing in both teaching and ministry.

In three weeks we'll drive west and begin a new season. We'll move to a place I've visited but never lived, where I know only a few people and a new job that will be exciting and challenging. We'll search for a new church. I'll learn the new job, and start with a new umpiring organization. We'll meet new neighbors and make new friends, and find new places to shop and eat and play.

While it's both exciting and scary, I am OK. I've got my wife and my kids, Jamie's parents, and Chad and Linde (and Ira). I've already made a few friends out there. thanks to Skype, we can talk to everyone here whenever we want.

And most of all, God is with us. God who has blessed us and protected us through it all. God who loves us more than anything. I look forward to seeing where God takes me in this new season.


Tomorrow I'll write about my first visit to Washington, and the very beginning of this big move.


No comments: