Monday, May 21, 2007

Doug Pagitt jumps in

In February, at the National Pastors' Convention, my friend Josh and I had the opportunity to spend some time in conversation with Doug Pagitt. We were talking about the Christian watchdogs on the internet (which I often read, and hate myself for wasting the time). I told him that he was still kind of under their radar. Not any more. Last week Doug was interviewed by Ingrid Schlueter, (one of the watchdogs). You can listen here.

A lot of folks have jumped into the conversation. I'm glad so many have offered Doug their encouragement (not that he needs it...my guess is that Doug is pretty secure and not too upset by the criticism). One of the best responses is here on Fajita's blog.

I'm convinced there are two kinds of people who listen to and read these watchdogs (they call themselves discernment ministries--but I don't really see any ministry being done, only judging and condemning anyone who has a different perspective. They are most adamant about condemning successful ministries).

I think the people reading the watchdogs are:
1. People who have made up their minds about all matters of faith and have nothing more to discuss. They are convinced that they are right about everything and anyone who disagrees is wrong. They find support when they slam others and have their friends encourage them to keep it up.

2. People like me who read them, still amazed that people who call themselves Christians can be so oblivious to one of the Bible's main themes--to love one another. Now, they say they are loving, by telling the truth in love, but come on--there is no encouragement, only condemnation in their speech.

People read this stuff because they agree with it, or they don't. I really doubt that anyone is changing their minds because of it.

I also find it sad that they lump together a wide variety of churches and styles and perspectives, ie. emerging church, emergent, seeker-senstitive, megachurch, purpose-driven, contemporary worship, and announce that all those involved in these types of ministries are deceived, and that all leaders are bound for hell.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox for now.

5 comments:

Fajita said...

Thank for the props my friend.

Doug Pagitt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Todd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

Thanks for the post Todd...I am curious as to what you think may be the best way for these different sides to really come to the table? Are these interviews, etc. ever in a different spirit than "watch dog?" Maybe those are the places that should be conducting all the interviews?

Tom said...

Hey Todd,

Just listened to Pagitt's interview. While I was able to understand why he was skeptical in answering many of these questions (especially the way they were asked) but I have to say, he was unable to communicate clearly. I think when any of us, as pastors/theologians/Christians - spokespersons for a new Christian movement, need to better articulate why we say some things we do. If a person is going to accept a short interview format they must be prepared to respond accordingly. Also, I think Pagitt answered the "gospel question" with the function (nothing wrong with that) but that function is only possible because "Jesus is Lord." Anyway, we should grab a beer and chat about this. It is sad to read her blog.