Wednesday, May 23, 2007

defining God v. responding to God

More great stuff from Pete Rollins, How (Not) to Speak of God, chapter 2:
The difference between the idea that our Christian traditions describe God and the view that they are worshipful responses to God is important to grasp, for while the former seeks to define, the latter is engaged with response. (p. 21)

I find that I connect with God more these days when I worship Him and respond to Him rather than trying to figure him out...Not that I don't ask questions; I'm finishing a philosophy course titled "Who is God" that is kicking my butt. It's got me asking all kinds of questions about omnipotence, foreknowledge, prayer, hell, suffering...But I find myself interacting with God more than ever in the midst of those questions. I used to feel like not knowing or understanding something made me feel further from Him; but now I feel just the opposite--questioning and seeking draw me to Him.

No comments: