Monday, November 13, 2006

how much do I really care?

I was in a conversation with a friend, also a minister, and we were discussing the theology of a colleague. I mentioned that this colleague might lean toward universalism in her theology. My friend replied, "I hope she's right." My first reaction was shock, how could he think this way! I'm not too conservative, these days I lean toward the left side of moderate, but I certainly don't subscribe to universalism! I'm not that radical!

He went on to say, "I wouldn't bank my salvation on it, but shouldn't we all hope that she's right?" After thinking about it, I realized he was right. If I truly care about people, don't I want them to spend eternity in heaven? If I base my love for them on their willingness to believe what I believe; that's not very loving.

My faith is in Jesus. I believe that what He says in the Bible is true, that a relationship with Him is the way to truly know God; and that unfortunately, not everyone chooses to follow Him, and therefore won't be with Him forever. While that's what I believe, based on my understanding of Jesus; shouldn't I hope that there is more, that eventually everyone will be with Him, that no one will be left out?

I imagine some of my friends will say, "No, you should hope that all choose to follow Jesus." And I do. But what of those who don't choose to follow Him in this life? Should I really want them to be separated from God, or should I want God to find a way to keep them with Him? Can there be a difference between what I believe and what I want? Just because I don't believe in universalism doesn't mean I can't hope for it. If I love all people, than I should want all people to be saved. Peter said that "God does not want anyone to perish." I don't either.

3 comments:

Josh said...

i can remember the first time i thought that too. i like how Karl Barth talks about those who have not chosen to acknowledge a specific intention of joining the kingdom of God...he says they are "not yet saved" always holding before him the hope and possibility of salvation for all people...

(Todd, have we had a similar conversation to this at some point?)

don't eat alone said...

Todd

Found you through your comment at "A Church for Starving Artists."

I would recommend to you two books by Gulley and Mulholland (that you may already know about): If Grace is True: Why God Will Save Every Person and If God is Love: Rediscovering Grace in an Ungracious World. Both are moving, provocative, and full of gospel.

As I have written before, I look at it more from my side of things. If I get to heaven, I would much rather God ask, "Why did you welcome so many people?" rather than, "Why did you keep closing the door when I was pushing it open?"

Peace,
Milton

RevRodney said...

Hey Todd,
I think that there are many facets of God that we have not yet seen, but by seeking Him and knowing Him I believe that He opens up more to us as we are able to percieve what His truth is. And His truth is what will be forever and ever, and His Word is true. His Word says that we must call upon the Name of Jesus to be saved; and that we must also follow after Him. I believe their is hope for every person who still has breath but I also know that the day will come when they breath their last breath and that if they haven't recieved Him they will perish. I agree with Miltons comment, I would rather God say to me 'how many did you ask in' then 'why did you close the door when I was pushing it open'. If we share (walk in) the love of Christ He will attract them. God bless my friend!