Monday, October 05, 2009

the present

I've always been skeptical when I hear people say, "God told me..."

I've never heard God speak. But there have been times when I get the sense that God is trying to tell me something--through other people, something I read, the Spirit inside...

I've been getting that lately in this idea of living in the present. A few different friends have touched on this, and some different things I've been reading. In doing some self-examination, I was amazed to realize how little time I truly spend living in the moment.

I spend a little time looking back, remembering good times, questioning myself or others over things I wish were different. But I spend a LOT of time looking ahead--wondering, worrying, playing out different scenarios--and most of it is not productive.

As a result, I spend very little time truly living in the present. Enjoying where I am, who I'm with--not thinking about the past or the future, just really experiencing life right now...the sights, sounds and the smells...(can anyone name the movie reference?)

So this week I'm working on living in the present. Not letting worries about tomorrow get in the way. I do this best with my kids. They truly live in the present, and they help me do it as well. When I'm with them, just being--those are times when I really sense God's presence as well.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Around August i finally let go of the past. I FEEL and I AM so much better! Living in the present, with appropriate preparedness for future projects, is a much better way to live.

Anonymous said...

Remembering the past is never a bad thing, especially if there are fond memories. I have had cycles of remembering the past and not letting go for days. Not very healthy when it affects present day relationships. Looking forward is definitely a positive thing but sometimes it requires cutting the strings of the past. I agree with you that living in the present is the way to go. But don't beat yourself up if you slip. You are only human and your past has made you who your are today. A blessing to your family!