Tuesday, July 22, 2008

road trip day 1 and 2

We made it to Nashville. Day one was good; made pretty good time. The kids watched movies, we sang songs, and played Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? (I wasn't). The baby slept a lot.

My sweet wife almost got in a fight at a rest stop where we ate lunch. A guy started mowing the grass and shot dirt and grass all over us. I thought J was going to knock the guy off his John Deere; but she restrained herself and politely told him how she felt. He apologized.

The highlight was crossing into Tennessee and getting Krystal's for dinner. If you've never had a Krystal--you need to next time you're in the South--great hamburgers (and small--you need to eat at least 4). They were just as good for breakfast today!

Last night we stopped in Bulls Gap, TN (about halfway between Bristol and Knoxville) to spend the night. The toddler had a rough night--didn't want to go to sleep, or stay asleep. J was exhausted and frustrated, finally climbed into the pack-n-play with B. I opened my big mouth before I thought and said, "I don't think that thing is meant to support your weight." not too smart.

But overall, day one was good.

Day two was even better...got a late start--but we're committed to relaxing--not rushing--on this trip. Stopped for lunch at a really nice rest area. B saw a butterfly and started following, so I followed him--all over the place. I love watching him so excited about the world around him. Later on he saw a young bird that was hopping more than flying, and followed it for a while.

We walked up the hill to where the trucks parked and watched the 18 wheelers drive in and out. Whenever a truck drove out, B and I would wave to the drivers--several of them blew their horns for B--he loved it!

Got into Nashville around 4, unloaded and unpacked, then want to my grandmother's for dinner; wonderful time. She is in her late 80's and met the boys for the first time; it was sweet watching B hug and kiss her! Also had a great visit with Aunt Sheila.

The day ended with daughter and I going for a late-night swim here at the hotel. While traveling, most of our attention is on the boys, so I feel A often gets the short end. It was great to spend time with her tonight! off to bed!

No comments: