Friday, April 18, 2008

goodbye Danny Federici



If you're not a Bruce Springsteen fan, you probably don't know who Danny is...but for past 40 years he was a member of (IMHO) the greatest band ever--the E Street Band.

Danny died yesterday of melanoma. He was 58. You can read about it here.

This hits me hard. I love Springsteen and the E Street Band. I've seen them in concert 10 times over the last 24 years, and their music has been a major part of the soundtrack of my life.

But it also hits me hard because I thought about this yesterday--not a vision or anything like that, just a thought. I was driving home last night, listening to Springsteen, thinking about how this band has been together for most of my lifetime, and wondering what it will feel like when one of them is gone. 

Danny had died a few hours earlier, but I didn't know it yet. Freaky...that stuff almost never happens to me (unlike my mother-in-law; who has known several times when her daughters were pregnant, even before they did).

Anyway, my bizarre hunch or thought isn't really the point. We have lost a great musician, and from what I've read, a pretty great guy. My prayers are with his family and friends, and Bruce and the band.


No comments: