Sunday, April 01, 2007

heretical beliefs?

Those of us in the emerging conversation have been called heretics, and accused of rejecting the Bible and ignoring Christian doctrine. In chapter 1 of How (Not) to Speak of God, Rollins explains what many of us have been saying about this:
Those within the emerging conversation are offering a different way of understanding the answers that we already possess. In other words, those involved in the conversation are not explicitly attempting to construct or unearth a different set of beliefs that would somehow be more appropriate in today's context, but rather, they are looking at the way in which we hold the beliefs that we already have. This is not a revolution that seeks to change what we believe, but rather one that sets about transforming the entire manner in which we hold our beliefs.
In recent years my understanding and perspective of the Bible have changed a lot; but my beliefs in Jesus, and His Word and work have not; they have grown, becoming stronger and more real. Instead of reading the Bible as a textbook, a place to go to find answers, I read it as the story, the true story, of God and His love for His people. (And I feel no need to qualify "true" with the word "absolute.")

My faith is stronger because I dive into the Bible, wrestle with it, ask all kinds of questions (usually without clear, easy answers), and continue to seek God, in all his mystery and majesty. Critics want to deny mystery when it comes to God and the Bible. I read many writers and pastors who claim that there is no mystery; God has given us His Word, and it is clear and understandable. They call us heretics, claiming we question the obvious answers in the Bible.

Now I know most of these guys are way smarter than me. But I just don't see it. I think God wants us to enter into the mystery; I think that's why Jesus often spoke in parables and questions. He didn't give three point sermons that explained the Scriptures he quoted. He asked questions and let the listeners struggle; rather than giving easy answers.

OK, I'll get off my soap box. Today in worship we are going to walk through Scripture about the final week of Jesus' life--The entry into Jerusalem, Jesus' betrayal, last supper, arrest, trial, and crucifixion. No preaching, no commentary, just reading and acting out of Scripture. I think it will be powerful!

3 comments:

Mute Writer said...

Nice post Todd, I'll have to start reading that book...sounds interesting. What would life be without mystery and new revelations of understanding? This is our journey and I'm excited to be on it as I think we should be.

Tom said...

If only they'd be part of the conversation too. I don't understand what there is to be so scared of about discussing the Bible. It must go back to this "right belief." Is there something we can do better to become conversant with these folks?

Todd said...

excellent question, Tom. I'm afraid I'm kind of pessimistic about that. Many of the people I encounter in blog world, and in face-to-face life that cling to the "authoritative, inerrant, infallible Word of God" are unwilling to discuss. Their perspective, in simplest terms, is usually the "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" argument...they are often unwilling to acknowledge that their interpretation of Scripture is just that, THEIR interpretation. They believe their interpretation is the only right one...